The U.S. Small Business Administration is now accepting nominations for its 2018 National Small Business Week Awards, including the annual Small Business Person of the Year. Since 1963, National Small Business Week has recognized the outstanding achievements of America’s small businesses for their contributions to their local communities, and to our nation’s economy.
The dedicated website www.sba.gov/nsbw/awards provides forms, criteria and guidelines for submitting a nomination.
SBA Awards given in celebration of National Small Business Week, April 29 – May 5, 2018, include the following:
- Small Business Person of the Year - One from each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam.
- Small Business Exporter of the Year
Businesses are required to have had SBA assistance in order to be nominated for these two awards. Individuals who have received one type of SBA assistance such as, but not limited to, an SBA loan, SCORE counseling, Small Business Development Center (SBDC) assistance, and Women’s Business Center (WBC) assistance, government contracting assistance, disaster assistance, Emerging Leaders Initiative (E200), or Boots to Business training are eligible.
In addition to these National Small Business Week Awards, the SBA’s Iowa District Office will be presenting state-specific awards in several categories. SBA assistance is not required for these nominations. They include:
- Iowa Women in Business Champion of the Year – presented to an individual(s) who has demonstrated a commitment to the advancement of women’s small business ownership. Nominees may or may not be small business owners.
- Iowa Minority Small Business Champion of the Year – presented to an individual(s) who has demonstrated a commitment to the advancement of minority small business ownership. Nominees may or may not be small business owners.
- Iowa Veteran Business Champion of the Year – presented to an individual(s) who has demonstrated a commitment to the advancement of veteran business owners. Nominees may or may not be small business owners.
Iowa nominations for the following national-only awards are also encouraged.
- Phoenix Awards for Disaster Recovery
- Federal Procurement Awards
- Jody C. Raskind Lender of the Year
- Small Business Investment Company of the Year
- Awards to SBA Resource Partners
For nomination criteria and submission instructions for the Iowa awards, please e-mail Dave Lentell at the SBA’s Iowa District Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All nominations must be submitted no later than 2 p.m. CST, Jan. 9, 2018. All nomination packages must be hand delivered or mailed to the Iowa District Office, 210 Walnut Street, Room 749, Des Moines, IA 50309. Email submissions of SBA Awards forms will not be accepted as they contain personally identifiable information (PII).
Iowa award winners at all levels will be honored during a Small Business Week 2018 reception later in May.
For questions, contact Dave Lentell at the Iowa District Office at (515) 284-4522 or email@example.com